Monday, October 12, 2009

Recycling Heat


As the weather starts getting chilly, I know I'm already starting to dread the high heating bills. There are a few things that I do to reuse and conserve heat. The biggest one . . . reuse my dryer heat. I disconnect the tube thingy that vents it outside, roll up a towel and put it in the hole that leads to the outside, then hang the open end of the tube off of the shelf over the dryer, pointing towards the rest of the house. When I dry my clothes, instead of sending that heat outside, it helps to heat my house. And the best part, it's nice humid heat. It really helps keep the house more comfortable when the air gets dry with the cold. If you have an electric dryer too, try it! Be forewarned though, it may take some experimentation to learn how to place the vent. I just let it lay on the floor to start with (figuring that hot air rises) and then I had a puddle of condensation on my floor.

Another thing that I do is keep the heat turned down at about 60 or 65 degrees. Then I use space heaters to warm the room that I'm in. I always like to be snuggled under a blanket anyway, so it works. At night an electric blanket on the bed helps to warm just the area that I need. I usually set the programmable thermostat at the low level overnight, then have it start warming up a bit more when it's time to get out of bed.

Of course, how you manage your heating is up to your personal comfort goals. For some reason, I really hate having to pay for heat. I don't know. It just seems like one of those things that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg and my first born. Never underestimate some of the old fashioned heat conserving methods too. Light some candles, get a couple big dogs, and snuggle up with your loved ones!

No comments: