Friday, October 16, 2009

Kroger New Gas Rewards

You can now get up to a dollar off per gallon of gas by shopping at Kroger. The details are here.

Now after puzzling over the fine print, you might be wondering how this is a good deal. After all, you would have to spend $1000 in groceries to equal a dollar off per gallon of gas. There are a couple couponer tricks though. First off, the points are calculated BEFORE COUPONS. So if you have $100 worth of groceries, then your big stack of coupons takes you down to only $20, you still get credit for the full $100. This is awesome! More reason than ever to take advantage of those free after coupon deals. I got a few things at my trip yesterday that I don't need, but they were free, so I got them anyway. They go straight to my donation pile, but counted towards my fuel rewards. So worth the effort, and it helps someone else who will receive the items I donate.

Another tricky way to get more points is to buy gift cards. Let's say you're going out to dinner to Olive Garden with your honey. Instead of just paying at Olive Garden, stop by Kroger and grab a couple gift cards first to cover the cost of your meal. $50 in gift cards is the same as $100 in groceries. This is great for Christmas shopping in the near future too. Give gift cards as gifts, or, if you're shopping at a particular store, buy the card at Kroger and use it yourself. So long as it's stuff you already intend to do, and so long as it doesn't make you feel like a crazy freak, go for it! I admit, sometimes I feel a little weird with the couponing! But it's worth it to me to feel weird for a few minutes at the store so that I have a few more bucks at the end of the day. And saving money on gas is one of the things that's hard to do.

(I'm still trying to figure out the fuel rewards for Biggs. I've heard of people only paying pennies per gallon on their gas by shopping at Biggs, but I'm not a Biggs shopper, and I haven't had any luck finding any good information that makes it easy. If you know of any, please post.)

No comments: