Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Web Page - Getting Started

First off, if you've been following my blog, you've probably noticed that some time will go by without any posts. Then I go crazy for a couple days. I'm trying to start posting everyday. I have a schedule that I will be implementing in the near future. However, I have some thoughts and ideals that I've been compiling in my head, so I need to get all of that out first. LOL.

Ok, on to the topic.

Anyone who has or wants to start a small business really needs to have a web page. This can be much easier and cheaper than you may expect. If you don't have time or funds or knowledge to do anything else, then I very highly recommend that you use Blog Spot to get SOMETHING out there. This is the program I'm using to write this blog. You can also see how I'm using it to do build my candle website at www.lmfcandles.com. Note that my candle website does not use blogspot in the url. There is a secret to this. I will share later. But the absolute priority is to get something out there. There are some more advanced ways to customize a blog page. There are all sorts of ways to add to it. I will be going over certain items one step at a time in the future. But first priority, get your blog page set up and going, and get a corresponding gmail address up and going.

For your blog, once you pick a template and get it set up, just add a text box with a basic description of what your business is at this point. Then add a url that says what gmail address you're using for your business. Make sure you use a special gmail address. It will make things easier in the long run.

There are a few limitations with using Blog spot for your web page. For additional features, you have to either pay someone to create different aspects for you, learn some html yourself, or find places online (or friends) that already have the code set up and figure out how to implement it in to the html code. It can be time consuming and frustrating. But it isn't necessary. It's just a way that allows you add more customization if you want or need it.

Another issue with using blog spot . . . don't plan to be able to sell online. The easiest way to handle sales is to tell people to email you, then set up something through pay pal. There is also a way around this, but it's more complicated and I will go into it in a separate post at a later date. The absolute, most important thing is just to get your web page up and running. Customers need a place to go to learn about your product and/or services. Even if it is in an absolute basic format, having something online adds legitimacy to your business. It lets people know that you care enough about what you're doing to have something out there. And it lets people read a little bit about what you have on their own time.

So get to work on this! I will post the next step in about two weeks. It should only take about an hour or two of your time to have a very basic web page started up. Play around with it as much as you want. Add photos, links, etc. The important thing is just to have the web page and at least some very basic content.

No comments: