Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mid Year Maybes

Well, here it is. The middle of the year. I'm weird, I accept it. But this is a time when I like to reflect on my resolutions from the beginning of the year. Am I on track with my goals. Or have they turned into . . . maybe I'll get it done?

If your to-do list has a case of the maybes, then it's time to dust it off and freshen it up. Throw out all of those goals that are no longer applicable. I'm laid off, so eating a healthy lunch is no longer an item on my list for now. Since I'm home at lunch time, I eat healthier. Of course, that's assuming I remember to eat at all in between chasing my little guy up the stairs and sorting my coupons.

I also update my list by re-evaluating my goals. Yeah, at the beginning of the year, losing 40 pounds during 2009 sounded great. Now that we're halfway there and I've lost 3 pounds, I need to revise where I expect I'll be. This keeps the goal reachable, but still something to work towards. If I just go right ahead and revise it down to 20, I won't give myself the chance to use the excuse that I'll never reach my goal so I might as well not even try.

Lastly, throw in a couple new small goals that fit your plan for right now. I'm going to add in a goal of stretching out to loosen up my muscles on a regular basis. Also note that I say "on a regular basis." Yeah, I want to do it every day. Two times a day if I can. But saying every day just isn't realistic. So long as I do it on a regular basis, I can constantly redefine what "regular" is, based on my schedule at whatever point in time.

Keeping goals and revisiting them regularly helps keep you in touch with what you want to accomplish. It is always satisfying to reflect on the prior year and know that you completed some of things that you wanted to. So spend some time with your list now so you won't feel like kicking yourself at the end of the year. I always find it surprising that I end up accomplishing a lot of my goals. New ones pop up every day. Seeing some crossed off and completed is a wondeful feeling.

1 comment:

Southern Fried Gal said...

Hey girlie - haven't heard from you in a while! Hope all is well with you! Give me a shout and let me know what's going on with you! I miss hearing from you!

p.s. Did you see the AWESOME sale that's going on?