Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Inspiration

As you may be able to tell, I've been making some changes around here. I thought it might be helpful to some to show how to take a stupid, simple, minor thing and just run with it to make it completely new and cool. Well, cool to me and I'm a dork, so whatever that means.

I was working on making a new header for this blog. I was mostly looking at mildly decorative or typewriter fonts. Something that says "business." Well, I came across this really neat font with the sunburst, or whatever you want to call it. It made me think of super heros. I didn't think much of it, but still wanted to see what it would look like. So I tried it. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Business Mommy is not merely a businesswoman and a mommy. Suddenly she's a SUPERHERO! (Queue fanfare type orchestra music.) And it makes perfect sense. So then I had to add the super hero commentary on the sidebar there. I may get a little annoying for a few days with superhero speak, but I'm sure it's just a phase that will pass once I get used to seeing my new header.

And the moral of this story is . . . allow your creativity to leap out when it wants to. And roll with it. Creativity is one of those things that you never really know where you'll end up. One tiny little spark could turn into something that changes your entire outlook on a project. Maybe it will end up working. Maybe it won't. But you won't know if you don't try.

That brings me to another very important issue with creativity. It can be scary to let it loose and put it on display for the world to see. It's something that was a part of you. It shows a tiny bit of your soul. And suddenly you're making it public. What if people laugh? What if they think it's stupid? WHO CARES?!!!! I had those fears for the longest time. It is so worth it to stop caring what others think of your creativity and just create. Even if no one else benefits from it, you will. Life is very different when you let your mind wander and see what happens. It's easier said than done. But if BUSINESS MOMMY can do it, you can too.

(Please note, any reference to BUSINESS MOMMY must now be made using a deep announcer type voice.) (and note to self, I need a cape.)

7 comments:

Danielle Miller said...

Or maybe some black leather body armor.

Danielle Miller said...

With my sidekick Mr. Rebates.

Danielle Miller said...

I was reviewing my posts for today, and it seems this stuff must have been somewhere in my head before seeing the cool font. It looks like in my Light My Fire Candles post that I had a brief moment of "Evil Villian" showing.

Tis a thin precipice between good and evil that the BUSINESS MOMMY balances upon.

Danielle Miller said...

Wait, I know. Black leather body armor AND a cape.

Danielle Miller said...

Should I have a mask or not?

Danielle Miller said...

Yeah, I would probably be a bit less embarassed at Walgreens in my superhero uniform if I had a mask on.

Danielle Miller said...

And evidently I can have long conversations with myself too.

Tee-hee! Will someone please email me if I get too carried away with this? I don't want to be walking into every room with my hands on my hips and chest pushed out and my hair slightly blowing in the breeze for two months before I realize that I've taken it too far.