Thursday, June 11, 2009

Festival Prep

Ok, I thought it might be a good idea to share my pre festival thoughts for any others who are thinking of going the festival route with your crafts or small business ideas.

There are many things that need to go with me to the festival. It's a little over an hour away, so I need to get it all there in one trip. The check list is very important. First, the basics. I need my tent. Tent stakes are important. This particular place is in the grass, so I can stake it. If not I would need to bring gallon bottles of water to weight it down. I need tables and chairs. I need my incense display.

Then decorations. I need table clothes. Display shelves. Drapy fabric to add visual interest. Christmas lights for the evening hours.

Then I need my actual merchandise. I need saran wrap to get my fragrance oil racks transported without everything falling out. I need my incense, all piled in one Rubbermaid box for the drive. And I need my incense bottles. Incense bottles are new for me this year. I need to pack them so they don't get broken or scratched. Bubble wrap would be best, but I don't have that and I'm not buying it unless I'm shipping something. So getting my bottles packed up will be my biggest chore in the morning.

Then comes the little odds and ends. Most importantly, cash box and start up money to make change from. $40 in singles and fives is usually more than enough. I always keep an eye out for things I want to get at the festival in case I suddenly need to break a twenty. That way it's an easy decision where to go. For my things I also need to remember to grab the clips that go with my incense bottles, a lighter or two, and tealights. I also like to bring my battery starter. The thing for the car if it dies. It has a cigarette lighter outlet on it and I can plug my cell phone into it to charge. I also have an adapter to use any normal plug in it. Sometimes this is great for hot days when I want to bring my fan.

Last but not least, a cooler with plenty of soda and snacks so I won't be tempted to spend all of my profits on festival food. I intend to indulge on the banana split bar. And maybe a pork chop sandwich. But that's it. I believe there's also a Kroger within walking distance at this location, so if I run out of soda, I still won't have to pay festival prices.

So that's my list. And the festival runs late, so I probably won't be posting again until Sunday. I'll update you on how it goes. I may post on Twitter if I figure out how to do that from my phone.

No comments: