Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Banana Split Festival in Wilmington

The Banana Split Festival is this weekend and I will have my candle booth set up. Well. I'll incense and fragrance oils. Candles don't do so good in the heat. I lost a lot of perfectly good candles last year to melt down and fading from being in the sun and heat.

On top of doing craft vending, summer festivals can be a great weekend activity. There are a couple things to keep in mind though. Food is expensive. Sometimes it's fine. A good pork chop sandwich is an idulgence that we usually submit too at festivals. It's thick and filling, and for what you get, the price is ok. Other things, not so much. One thing that I like to do is stop at McDonalds or something beforehand. That way it's a treat to eat out, but not too expensive. Then at the festival, a couple things may tempt us, but we aren't starving, so we only pick a couple things that are only available at festivals. And since I have a booth, I always bring a cooler filled with soda and/or beer. I just can't spend $3 for a bottle of pop.

Crafts are usually priced fairly at festivals. If you know what you like and are planning to spend a little on handmade goods, go for it. The quality is usually better than you'll get at a big box store, and you never know when you'll come across something that you like again.

The Banana Split Festival in particular is pretty fun. They have a make your own banana split bar. You get to add the toppings yourself. And last year when I was there, there was even a vendor that had a monkey. LOL. A live monkey. The kind like what was in Friends. It cost a quarter to shake his hand or something. And of course, music. I don't think I've been to a festival that hasn't had live bands.

No comments: