Thursday, December 4, 2008

Web Page Introduction

Right now there are only a few web sites that I have added, but I think it's a good idea for me to write a little blurb about why I'm including them on this site.

Money Saving Methods - Awesome site with tons and tons and tons of information.  I don't think I've seen it all yet, and I've been going there daily for a couple months!!!  I'll be referencing specific things from this site from time to time.  It's a great resource to let you know all the different kinds of things you can do to get great deals.  I recommend starting with the information on how to play the Walgreens game.  She has info on CVS too, but personally, Walgreens has worked better for me so far.

Mommy Snacks - Similar to Money Saving Methods, but with different info.  I like how this one breaks out the deals at different stores.  Like if you click on Walgreens at the lower bottom right, she tells you what the major deals are.  She also puts up links to the ads before they're available to the rest of us.  Several times I've planned to buy something that I thought was a good deal, only to check next weeks ad and realize I could get it a better deal on it if I waited a couple days.

The Grocery Game - I highly, highly, highly recommend using this site.  You may want to clip your coupons for a few weeks first before signing up though.  It's a 99 cent free trial for a month, and you will totally be amazed with how much you save on groceries and necessities.  By the time your trial is up and you have to pay the higher price, you'll be begging this woman to take your money so you can keep your access to this site.

A note about coupons.  I never paid much attention to them before.  I used to buy mostly store brand items, and even with the coupon, store brands had been cheaper.  But that was before finding this information.  Clip every single coupon whether you need it or not.  I've been buying three Sunday papers each week, along with getting the ones from my mom and my aunt.  Even if it's an item you would absolutely have no reason to use ever, you may find out that using the coupon and getting the unneeded item makes it possible to get a super deal on something you do need.  So clip every single coupon.  Every single one.  It takes some time.  But it's worth it if you need to really start saving money.  And if you have a large family or a lot of pets, remember, just one $3.00 off coupon in the paper makes it worth the cost of the entire paper.  If it's something you stock up on before the coupon expires, then buy as many papers as you need.  

2 comments:

Starla said...

I knew an elderly lady that did this, bought 5 papers a week. She'd go to the grocery maybe 3 times a week & a couple times during the summer have a garage sale for all the items she didn't use! She always told me she'd show me how this was done, but never did.
Could you explain how clipping a coupon for something I will never use saves me money?

Danielle Miller said...

Ok, real life example, I did this one a couple weeks ago at Walgreens. I don't remember the brand, but some sort of deodorant was on sale for $2. Walgreens had a store coupon for $1.50 off. 50 cents is a good deal for deodorant if you need it. I didn't need it because I'm stocked up. But I had previously clipped coupons for 75 cents off of each one. Since I had four coupons, I bought four things of deodorant and it gave me an extra dollar.

When this happens, I always buy other things too because the cashiers don't really notice. But I think if they were actually handing you money at the end of the order, it could cause problems. But at least at Walgreens it seems to work.

Another example . . . this past week at Walgreens, buy 2 toothbrushes for $6, get $6 in register rewards for your next order. I had a coupon on these toothbrushes for buy one get one free. Even if I didn't need toothbrushes, that's $3 to use on anything else in the store that I do need.