Tuesday, December 16, 2008

U.S. Small Business Administration

There is a lot of information on this website.  I've not explored the website yet, but I took a free class they offered over at Butler Tech.  FYI: I do NOT recommend taking the class until you have your feet wet a little bit in the small business world.  I found it overly pessimistic and complex for people just getting started.  I could follow all the information because I was familiar with it in general from college and from my work experience.  But I think unless you already have had some success, even minor, the class is scary.

But the SBA is supposedly a very useful resource for small businesses.  There is a center in Hamilton (east side, right by the river, across the street from the fort.)  They give free advice and counseling to help people out.  I think the only requirement is that you have to have a business plan put together first.  But their website looks like it will walk you through how to do all of that.  And I suspect anyone starting a small craft business would probably have a very thin business plan.  But I think they require it so that they can review something in writing to be able to help you expand on your idea and put you in contact with resources that are available.  I personally will be working with this website and the organization in the coming weeks and months.  It's a free service.  Take advantage of it as much as possible.  I'll update everyone after having my first meeting which I'm going to try to get scheduled for January.

No comments: