Monday, December 15, 2008

Building a Stockpile

This is one thing in particular that I'm working on.  I've not yet researched what kinds of things freeze well, and for how long.  I also think I'm going a bit overboard on shampoo and toothpaste.  But I'm sorry, I'm just not going to pass up a large size tube of Colgate for a quarter a tube.  I may end up supplying my mom and brother and friends too.  

Cereal is one thing that I don't think my family can ever have enough of.  It's nutritious.  It can make for a quick meal when you don't want to take the time to cook.  It's there for when the kids don't want to eat what everyone else is having for dinner.  It's a good snack when you're craving something sweet.  And shredded wheat is a great anytime snack even dry.  

Another thing that I think my family could never have enough of is Hamburger Helper.  When we have the step kids over, we'll probably need to fix three boxes to feed everyone.  

Something I recommend stocking up on this week if you're able is the Zicam swabs at Walgreens.  They're on sale for 9.99, there should be a coupon from a few weeks ago for a dollar off.  And when you buy 2, you'll get a $5 coupon.  These things seem to work great.  And you're supposed to start using them at the first signs of a cold, so it's best to have them on hand.  I've already bought four boxes.  My hubby and I'll will have gone through a whole box this week, so I'm probably going to go ahead and buy two more boxes.  Expensive, yes, but totally worth it if it keeps your family from being miserable with colds.  

I've noticed some "as seen on tv" bags for keeping bread or produce fresh longer.  If anyone has any experience with these, please write in and let us know how well they work.  I'll probably try them out eventually, but for now, I'm sticking to frozen or canned fruit and veggies. 

No comments: